Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Plums Aren't There

It's National Poetry Month! Not only that, it's National Poetry Writing Month(NaPo WriMo!)! Not only that, it's April!

I've heard tell that April is the cruelest month. This I believe. What could be crueler than being subjected to the massive output of poetry that occurs when poets nationwide decide they are going to write one poem every day?

Don't worry. I have no desire to write a poem every single day. Likewise, I have no desire to post here every single day. Y'all are safe. On the other hand, I'd be remiss if I didn't kick off NaPo WriMo right.

So without further ado...

Here
I
Thought I
Had been the
Perfect gentleman,
Until I talked to all your friends.
They told me you got caught, saying "Oh no, not again."

so

I
Tried
Not to
Have regrets,
Smoke less cigarettes,
Place past personal griefs aside,
Except tonight. I'm sorry, but I don't feel the vibe.

so

I
Broke
Into
Your closet,
Ate hot dog, slopped it,
I stole your skirt and yellow scarf
So you couldn't see all the mustard I got on it.

3 comments:

  1. hey seth-I'm in your prose workshop this quarter. great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's a shame. I love April. It is the kick-off to spring. It is when March has finally stopped rearing it's ugly, gray, non-holiday-y (St. Patrick's Day does not count as they don't give you a work holiday) head. It is when bulbs start blooming and daffodils beam their sunny faces at you from their narcissistic little world. And of course, it is my birthday month! What could be so bad about April?! (other than absurd amounts of poetry)

    However, I do like you poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. liked the poem - liked it's shape on the page, liked it's reality, liked the idea of a guy making an effort to please a girl and then giving up on the effort. It is tough to balance that desire to please with the reality of being who we are sometimes so I guess it doesn't even have to be the guy pleasing a girl.
    Looking forward to more

    ReplyDelete