Sunday, March 8, 2009

Xena returns

You are not going to believe this:

Yesterday I was sitting on my balcony pondering upon myself when a strange thought struck me. "How," I say to myself sezi, "am I going to survive graduating?" Maybe you do not consider this to be a strange thought. Maybe, under similar circumstances, you yourself experienced similar ponderances. Me, I don't think about things like the future that often. What is going to happen, as they(the fates) say, will happen. The fates have decreed that I will earn a diploma from the UW. I scarcely have a choice at this point. So why do I worry about what the fates have decreed?

Because every beginning implies an end?

Because every end implies a beginning?

Because a diploma implies I have developed my craft and skill to a professional level?

Because I don't know how to do anything except learn?

Because the fates have been shown, historically, to be unsentimental?

As I sat in what Lewis Carrol might describe as "uffish thought", suddenly a huge wingspan cast a shadow across my face. It was Xena, warrior hawk princess! She landed on the branch closest to me and stared straight at me. That basically freaked the hell out of me, but I wasn't about to run inside. I sat there and stared back at Xena for a long time.

Idea: I can talk to birds.
Test: "Hey, Xena! Tell me the meaning of life!"
Result: False

Idea: Though they can't reply, birds can understand what I'm saying.
Test: "Hey, Xena! You should catch me a mouse!"
Result: False

Idea: Don't worry, just be prepared.
Test: http://seattle.craigslist.org/wri/
Results: Pending

The moment passed. I went back inside. This morning there was a dead mouse next to my balcony door.

3 comments:

  1. "You can talk to birds?" (in sarcastic tone as in Into the Woods)

    We just had stake conference and a huge part of it had to do with just the idea you mentioned. "Don't worry, just be prepared" It's a good thought. You should run with it. And good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that bird is adopting you - of course dead mice are not all the appealing in the culinary department. But hey, your mama isn't giving up her parental role to a bird anyway. Maybe the adoption can work in reverse. Think the zoo had an openings for bird tamers? Craig's list is a good starting place. You are at this time of your life and at this time in the roller coaster of our economy going to have some adventures. There's always room and welcome for you here. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started to be very frank in my response to people's twittering querries about whether i'm excited to graduate or not. My answer is, "Would YOU like to suddenly lose three jobs and try to find another one in this economy?"

    What i'm trying to say by this comment is, "I commiserate."

    ReplyDelete